Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dreaming Big



       



Jack and Harriet graduate from Elementary school!

Very unlike when I finished sixth grade and elementary school, 
they participated in a morning promotion ceremony
 very similar to a high school graduation.
The motto was "Dream Big" and the theme
was "Aloha, Class of 2010" Hawaiian-y,
as many here in So Cal fancy themselves
to be the closest thing to The Big Island.


The stage is set - the green chairs are for the graduates
and each has a lei for them to put on when they enter



Pete, whose school has been out for a few days already,
is also fresh off of torn meniscus knee surgery.
He sits here waiting for the show to start, elevating
his leg and listening to the US beat Algeria
in the World Cup on his little transistor radio.


The program is very nice, with musical numbers
from the students and music teacher,
and speeches from a student from each of the sixth
grade classes. Before the "diplomas" are
handed out there is a recognition of
the 33 students who have earned the
Presidential Educational Excellence Award
which includes both of my twins!
This was a nice surprise that none of the
parents were told about beforehand.
They receive a letter and certificate from President Obama :-)








Finally the Diplomas are handed out,



they shake the hand of the principal



and


they are sixth grade graduates!






Posing for photos with mom and dad, grandpa and grandma,
then its off to lunch with friends at In-n-Out!


I am amazed at how quickly the time went between Kindergarten and sixth grade. Next year they will be in Middle School, which is only for two short years, then its on to High School. They are two of the best kids imaginable, and I am sure they will continue to do their best with whatever they do. I am very proud of them, if not a bit overwhelmed at the idea of them getting bigger and older.
The trick, I've decided, is to embrace each
stage of life and make it a time
we can look back on with great memories and no regrets.


1 comment:

Grammie Ann said...

I LOVED this advancement program. In fact I love the attitudes everything at La Madera--fresh, sweet, and diligent. It has been a great school for our dear grandchildren! So glad we could attend this and other events. xoxox, Gramma Ann--Grandpa John also!